Homemade peanut butter & pumpkin dog treats
My parent's dog Sophi had surgery on her back legs so I decided to make her homemade dog treats to encourage healthy eating and healing. I used the following recipe. My mom even tried both the dough and the treats and said they are actually good. The dogs love them. The recipe originally had a bacon glaze but I did not make it because I didn't have bacon. You could add more peanut butter on top if you wanted a easier glaze.
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, coconut oil, chicken fat, or any other fat that will solidify at room temperature, melted
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin, peanut butter, eggs, and oil in a bowl. Add in baking soda and whole wheat flour. Stir until a stiff dough forms. Knead dough or mix just until flour is incorporated.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to cut out dog bone shapes, or just bake into little circles like cookies. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the bacon grease and peanut butter until very smooth. Drizzle over the treats and cool till glaze hardens prefeably in the fridge or freezer.