Whole Wheat Maple Banana Pancake Muffins
The other day my mom sent me a recipe for muffins so I decided to give them a try. They were quick and easy to make and they tasted good. I wouldn't say they were the best muffins I've ever had but they had a lot of healthy substitutions. I definitely want to play around with the recipe a bit and see if I can perfect them. The two complaints I had were 1) they were a little thick 2) they stuck to the paper liners.
Oh if you are wondering - although they had bananas in them, they didn't taste like banana at all - I used a normal banana not a ripe one.. The maple taste is most prominent.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
(12 regular muffins OR 24 mini-muffins)
- 1 and 1/3 cups (167g) whole wheat flour (or white whole-wheat)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large banana)
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Maple Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Gently combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and banana together. Whisk in the brown sugar and yogurt until no lumps remain. Whisk in the maple syrup until combined.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir gently until just combined. Do not over mix the batter or your pancakes will be tough and very dense. Add chocolate chips.
5. Line a mini muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill the liners 3/4 full of batter. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes (regular sized muffins) or 11-13 minutes (mini muffins), until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
6. To make the frosting: Cream the butter, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the milk if needed to thin out the frosting enough to be of a good spreading consistency and beat well to combine.
7. Frost the cupcakes and serve immediately or place covered in the fridge for later.
Tips and tricks
- My muffins stuck to the liners so here are some recommendations. There is no oil in this recipes so I think that is why they stuck to the liners. Use spray cooking oil on the liners before you bake or forgo the liners all together and just grease the muffin pan cups.