2018: Moving Back Home + Resolutions
As 2017 winded down, I made some big life changes.
As most of you know, I moved to Reno after my pharmacy residency with my ex-boyfriend. We broke up and were on-again off-again for a while after. Eventually we cut ties but I decided to give Reno a go!
When I first moved there, I won free entrance to a West Elm event and from then on my blogging/influencing started to grow... it was also the beginning of the end but that's a different story! My year in a half in Reno was filled with learning experiences on all levels, the good, the bad, and the ugly. But after a year and a half, I was feeling more and more homesick. I decided to take a leap of faith, quit my job, and move back home to Montana.
And it's been one of the best decisions I've made in years. I will be honest in saying 2017 wasn't a good year. But I refuse to allow life to get me down. I've lived long enough to realize that life is too short; too short to be unhappy. So it's without further ado, let's talk about 2018!
Truthfully, all of my resolutions tie together. My blog is a representation of my life so therefore my blog goals are my life goals. And I learned years ago it's more feasible to set general goals for the new year.
- Friendship: One of my biggest complaints about the past few years has been the lack of connection in my life. I was extremely social and busy yet in terms of people who know me well I was lacking. For this next year, one reason I needed to move home was to spend more time investing in deep and lasting friendships. Since I have been home, I have seen quite a few friends and it's hard to explain how good it feels to be around people who wholeheartedly love me. They are my people and they continually support me. And if I happen into a dating relationship along the way that would be just fine with me - I do miss something about Montana men. I went out with a friend who opened all the doors for me and let me drive his truck (stick shift!) and it felt good to be home.
- Travel: 2018 is going to be the year of travel whether that be down the road or across the ocean. I traveled quite a bit in 2017 but I got sick on one trip, another was plagued with my friend's fighting, and another with horrible expectations of what the town was going to be. It seemed like every trip I made in 2017 utterly failed. I kept my head up and continued on but I would like to travel even more this year - maybe with less failure ;) I would LOVE to backpack Europe a bit but I'm not sure how brave I am!
- Blogging: 2018 is going to be the year of my blog. I started my blog years ago as a creative outlet. I was working through pharmacy school and residency, with no real time to invest. I played around and learned a lot last year but I realize the full potential and passion I have for my blog so I would like for it to become more than just a hobby.
- Photography: I recently bought Alex Strohl's Photography Workshop. I have been binging watching it and even took a little road trip to practice - the photos seen in this post. I am not 100% where I want to be yet but you know what they say 0 it takes about 10,000 hours to master something so I have a long ways to go. I am trying as hard as I can to become a better photographer/editor AND maintain who I am. It's easy to start filtering photos to look a certain way, whatever is this month's filter flavor, but I have always loved honest photos that stand the test of time. Each day I get better and each day I force myself out with my camera, as uncomfortable as that sometimes may be (now that I am back home people stare and even harass me as I wander around taking photos). I would like to tell more stories with my photos.
- Read/Write: I plan to write more this year in addition to continuing to read. I love books and I love story telling. I'm not 100% sure if I want to continue freelancing as I really want my blog to grow.
- Diet/Exercise: I don't have a specific goal but I would like to work out more and eat healthier. I would like to spend more time cooking and less time eating out. But I would also like to bake more. I LOVE baking and I was always known for it. I fell out of it when I was busy with school but I miss it.
I am really excited for 2018. I have already had a great start to the new year - I was stuck in my lease in my townhouse in Reno but we have been able to rent it out which will save me substantially each month. We also went for a drive and I was able to practice photography. So, only two days in, I can already see that 2018 is going to be my year!