My life lately.... I know it's been radio silence on my end but SO much has happened in the past 6 months. I've sat down and tried to write about it dozens of times, but it comes out as chaos.
Regardless, I am going through a breakup and I wanted to give some advice. It's helped me so maybe it can help you!
- Distract yourself: watch your favorite TV show, clean your apartment, do anything you can to keep your hands and brain occupied.
- Exercise: I feel like a hypocrite saying this because exercise is SO useful in creating happiness and peace yet I'm so bad at getting 30 minutes per day.
- Cry... and be mad, sad, whatever emotion you are feeling, feel it. I've gone through excitement for the future, crying in fear and sadness, loneliness, denial, etc. all within the last 10 hours, only to have to get up tomorrow and do it all over again. It's okay to feel however you feel.
- Don't call or text your ex: I am soo bad about this but it never helps. You have a hole in your heart but they can no longer fill it. You will try to reach out only to realize it made things worse. If you need to delete them from your phone, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. so even if you want to, you can't contact them. And see the next advice...
- Talk to your friends and family: If you want to talk to someone, cry on a shoulder, be mad, whatever, call or text a friend or family member, heck call them all. I've talked to 7 people today multiple times. It helps!
- Avoid alcohol: I can mostly say this because alcohol has always been my coping mechanism. It. is. not. a. good. idea. End of story. Stay sober for a while after your breakup.
- Go somewhere: I was blessed enough to be able to go back home after my breakup with friends and family to distract me. Again it helps keep your mind of things, takes you away from the situation, and reminds you that you have people who love you no matter what. If you can't go one a 10 day trip, go camping or for a day drive.
- Realize that breakup sucks and everyone goes through them. You are a wonderful person. And sometimes things end. It sucks but you will be okay. You've survived so many heartbreaking things and ended up on the other side. I know it feels like you will never be whole again and if you're like me, your chest will physically hurt from the pain, but you will survive. Nothing is permanent.